If you want to gather information about a target’s DNS, you should probably use a tool like dnsdict6 to help you to enumerate many of the details which are not easily apparent for your average user or websurfer.
With dnsdict6 you find information such as:
· Subdomain info
· Enumerate all ipv4 and ipv6 addresses.
· You can also enumerate details of srv records.
· Also you can enumerate details of Name Server and Mail Exchanger records.
So, now we will jump into dnsdict6 on Kali Linux, your best option for a penetration testing distribution.
HOW TO OPEN DNSDICT6 ON KALI LINUXTo open dnsdict6 goto > Kali Linux > Information Gathering > DNS Analysis > dnsdict6
See the below image:
DNSDICT6 OPENEDOnce you opened dnsdict6, you will find various options on your screen.
A good Pen Tester will always read and understand all options at his disposal.
So lets see what kind of options we have, and some examples:
- -4 : dump ipv4 addresses : Try this example on your terminal > Example > dnsdict6 -4 [url]
- -t [#] : specify the number of threads. Remember default is set to 8 and max threads you can use is 32. Ex : dnsdict6 -d -t 18 [url]
- -d : it displays ipv6 info on NS, MX DNS domain information. Example : dnsdict6 -d [url]
- -S : perform SRV service records. Example : dnsdict6 -S -t 21 [url]
- -[smlx] : This options is for choose size of the inbuilt dictionary -s : small, -m medium, -l : large, -x: xtreme